Those of you following me on Instagram might have seen this look a couple of times before. And not only on my account, also on a bunch of others. I’m quite proud to say that this is probably one of my most photographed looks ever during fashion week. Now I’m not one to brag, but I’m so excited this one got featured on the blessed dressed list from The Cut (New York Magazine), W Magazine, Tommy Ton, The Urban Spotter, Harpers Bazaar US and many more. I didn’t really anticipate on this as usually the street style part of fashion week is not my fave. I don’t know where to look and feel awkward in front of all those people calling your name. I’m always terrified I’ll trip over or something. And the funny thing is that I was not sure about this look at all, and decided to add the coat a minute before I left our apartment. Good choice ha? It makes the whole look! It’s such a special piece! As a Dutchie I love my coats, so I ignored the sticky weather and decided to go for it anyway. It’s a pre-Fall but actually Fall look. And this is how you can make it work to, I’ll give you a little step-by-step guide of how to dress for the Fall (or Spring season) wherever you are (so even if that’s down under with rising temperatures).
- Layering. Layering is always key, but depending on the climate you’re residing in, you can do more or less of this. Obviously you can also layer with sleeveless tops, or longer flow skirt. Replace the skirt for flared or mom jeans in colder weather. The sky is the limit!
- Coats. I’ve already said this: I’m a big fan of coats. The more oversized the better usually! And with the temperatures dropping rapidly we also really need them. When it’s warmer, I tend to opt for a lightweight cotton or silk trench (choose a natural fabric that “breathes”), a denim jacket or just a shirt unbuttoned. For those of us in the Northern hemisphere, I’d say go big or go home. It’s all about the beige and army green this season, you can’t go wrong with that.
- Shirts. Not only as a substitute for a coat but as that extra layer. Preferably “stolen” from your boyfriend/husband/brother/man friend. I choose a simple white shirt with a double cuff undone. I know many of you find it a strange way of wearing it, but I decided I love it.
- Balance. If you go big on top, keep it simple down below. If you go for a knitted sweater, you might be able to sport those bare legs. If you’re wearing a tonal look, you may allow your accessories to be bold (sunglasses as in this case, or a bag perhaps).
- Statement. Make a statement, always. Whether that’s a bag, printed tee, sunglasses or your shoes. This season is all about the statement boot: think velvet, glitter, embroidered, snake print. You name, someone designed it. For this outfit I choose white boots with a beige details and a chunky heel. A little elevation makes the whole so much more feminine too!
Easy does it! What are your tricks for Fall?
SHOP THE LOOK: